We have finally made it to Montreal, Canada. We left Utah on Monday, Aug. 15 and drove into Montreal on Tues. Aug. 23. We got to the border and had to park the car & go inside the customs office to get our visitor passes (or visas) stapled to our passports to allow us to stay for 18 months.


The sign says "Welcome to Quebec" - because this whole East side of Canada is in the Province of Quebec. So not only Quebec-the city- is in Quebec, but also Montreal & all points in between.

We were thrilled that Montreal was only about 30 minutes away! Or so we thought. Montreal is an island in the middle of where the St. Lawrence River splits. So, as we pulled into the exit lane to go over the bridge into Montreal & on to the Mission Home - it was 3pm. By the time we made it to the Mission home it was 4:30pm. It was bumper to bumper traffic like I haven't seen since I tried to make it out of San Francisco once at 5pm!!! Crazy traffic here! Finally we arrived at the mission home. It is lovely. We especially loved the Quebec flag outside the door.


But, inside... now that's a real welcome:

Then - Wed. August 24, 2011 - we celebrated our first full day in the mission field and also our
40th wedding anniversary! We started off by driving an hour to our new district meeting. (Of course, I got so involved meeting the 6 missionaries, that I totally forgot to take any pictures! Next Wed. for sure!) Then we drove to the area we've been assigned to: Cornwall. It is right on the US/Canada border.... in the Ontario Province... more toward the capital city of Ottawa. They haven't had missionaries for the last 2 years and have desperately wanted some! So, I guess we're it! There just aren't enough missionaries to go around. There are only 80 missionaries in this mission! We drove to the church. It reminded Roger of the church he used to go to in Marion, Ohio - the kind they build in phases. First comes a square building, then this size, then when they grow large enough, they will add a chapel onto the front. So far this ward only has about 60 active members.

When we pulled in we just happened to meet the Relief Society Presidency who were just leaving. They gave us huge hugs and told us they were sooooo excited for us to be there. I think we're gonna like this place! Then we drove around town a bit & checked out a couple of places for apartments... no luck tho. Then we headed back to Montreal... an hour's drive... IF you don't hit the evening rush hour, which we did.. so it was more like 2 hours! YUCK! Since it was our anniversary, Roger took me to a little French Restaurant down in what they call the old city.

When we saw this sign, we HAD to stop of course! I really do love this guy! He has made 40 years seem like a wonderful bit of heaven! I am one lucky companion!


I had glazed duck (never have had that before - it was great! Didn't care much for the sauerkraut that came with it tho! ha!) Roger had the grilled salmon, also excellent. Afterwards, we walked around the old town with it's cobblestone streets.

And walked to the Notre Dame of Montreal. It really looks like the one in Paris:

What a wonderful way to start our mission!
4 comments:
How blessed those people are to have you there. Of course there is no doubt the blessings will flow your way too. Congratulations on your 40th wedding Anniversay....great way to celebrate.
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! What a wonderful way to spend your special day. The area you are in looks beautiful. It sounds like you will have many wonderful opportunities there. We love you! Keep up the good work. Good luck finding an apartment.
Really? Was it better than the anniversary that we spent together? OK. I give in. The mission anniversary wins. You guys are going to be so loved there and not just because you are both so lovable (which you are) but also because you are so needed. You won't be homeless for too long... I'm sure of it. Thanks for keeping up the blog. I'd miss you just too much if you didn't.
Wow, it's so pretty! I must come to Canada some time!
Post a Comment