Thursday, May 5, 2011

Women's Conference at BYU

My sweet friend Sheri Spencer called last week. It seems she had bought a ticket for her daughter to go with her & another friend to Women's Conference at BYU. Well, when her daughter couldn't go, she called her sister & the sister was going to get back to her. In the meantime, she called me and asked if ... at a momen'ts notice... might I want to go to Women's Conference. I said SURE! Then time passed & I didn't hear from her, so I figured that her sister decided to take the ticket. Women's Conference was Thursday and Friday, April 28, & 29. So, on Thursday morning at 8am Sheri called. Do you want to go to Women's Conference she said?? I was dumbstruck! What time does it start, I asked? 9am she said!!!! For REAL??? But I decided to take her up the offer. (man, when she says last minute, she MEANS last minute!) So, she & her friend left at 8am & told me they'd save me a seat. Amazingly, I got ready & Roger took me & dropped me off right at 9am at the Marriott Center.
It was a wonderful day! The speakers were fantastic. It's like being a kid in a candy store. They start off with a keynote speaker in the Marriott Center- then they offer 16 classes every hour all over campus. After the keynote speaker, I headed down the the Smith Fieldhouse to listen to John Bytheway the first hour speak on Covenants and Michael Wilcox the second hour speak on Scriptural Heroines. They were wonderful. Then I headed back up to the Marriott center to meet with Sheri for the last 2 hours. Until I remembered this: I'm not sure how many of you went to BYU, but to get from the Smith Fieldhouse in LOWER campus to the Marriott Center in UPPER campus- you have to go up these massive amounts of stairs. My mind went flying back to those years at BYU when I'd have to climb those stairs everyday... AAAGGGHHH!! I hated it back then and I REALLY hated it that day!! I had to text Sheri and tell her to have the oxygen ready! Good thing Women's Conference was so good. And on the trek back up, at least I had a gorgeous campus to look at... when my eyes could focus again, that is:
But I will have to say I didn't pick any more classes down in the Smith Fieldhouse! Thanks Sheri for a wonderful day... complete with a BYU Brownie! You are the best !

2 comments:

The Mahaffey Family said...

Those stairs are all too familiar. Too bad you didn't take gator with Chad when they drove up them!

Kathy Desler said...

Hey Friend, how fun to catch up on your blog and read and see all the excitement going on in your life. Every couple years my girls and I look forward to spending "together time" at Women's Conference. I understand what you mean about the experience.

Now I am waiting with you to find out about your mission call. The suspense is killing me... I can imagine what it is doing to you! ha! So happy and pleased for you and Rog. Where ever you serve the people will be blessed.